Floyd Help Thread

Talk about whatever piece of gear you want - strings, picks, straps, whatever.
progmetaldan
Resident Fusion Junkie
My Rig: Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman 5
Caparison Horus Scarab/GO

Post by progmetaldan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm

hmmmm...

Steve Vai?
Dan

TheGuitarNinja
...or in brackets, (feet).
My Rig: Bernie Rico Jekyll 727
ESP F-STD S7
Ibanez HRG7
Agile Intrepid 828

Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra
Mesa Simul-Class 2:90 Power Amp
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Post by TheGuitarNinja » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Mebeh.
http://www.facebook.com/xenobioticau
http://www.myspace.com/xenobioticau

WE MAKE TH' DETH METLZ!!! For fans of Behemoth, Hour of Penance, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Nile, The Faceless, blacks, etc.
Next Gig: Watch this space.

dying2live
Junior

Post by dying2live » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:47 am

Hey guys, I got me a new Jackson Stars a while ago and I asked for a custom gauge of 11-52, the floyd came with 4 springs, and since I tune on D standard I took one spring out so I could use that special spring adjustment where there are 2 parrallel springs on the high strings and one one on the low strings side diagonal. Except now my problem is when I try tuning the thing the bridge is tilting wayy too much towards the neck and when I tighten the spring claw fully theres still not enough tension with the 3 springs...

...anyways, my question is do i have to put that 4th spring back in there? And if i do is there any arrangement someone could recommend that would be similar to the one I was trying to get? Thanks

mrp5150
Caparison Slut

Post by mrp5150 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:52 am

Try a few different arrangements of the springs before you add another, but it sounds like you're probably going to have to do so.

haooomaru
Yo' daddy
My Rig: ESP Eclipse Std

Re: Floyd Help Thread

Post by haooomaru » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Does using a Tremol-no make your guitar normal to tune?

nugget666
Not so junior

Post by nugget666 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 pm

does one side of the spring claw need to be pulled further than the other or it should be parellel to the trem cavity??

Fikealox
Theory Fiend

Post by Fikealox » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 am

I was planning to block the Floyds on my M2s, but I've found myself playing around with them a lot more, so I'm hoping to avoid blocking them. The problem is that double-stop bends pull the unbent note way flat (about 1/4 tone, which is painful to me). I have three springs in the cavity at the moment, and as I understand it, adding more springs will help reduce this problem, but I'm wondering just how much it'll be reduced, and if I should look into a tremsetter or something. Thanks!

Flashheart
Biltong Addict

Post by Flashheart » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:55 pm

i dunno the answers to that liam.. but i err.. apply pressure to the bridge when i do the bend things, takes a bit of getting used to, but even if you can't do it perfect it is an improvement :oops:
Mike

Fikealox
Theory Fiend

Post by Fikealox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks dude, that's the workaround I've been using up till now, actually :) lol, at least with the floyd a bit unbalanced it gives me a reason to play the VP more.

Flashheart
Biltong Addict

Post by Flashheart » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:20 pm

i find the VP bridge by far the most comfortable i've ever used.. the floyds are a bit bulky.. i'm really rough with mine so if i ever wear em out.. if i can't be bothered buying a new one.. although it's only 200 bucks and i expect them to last years and years.. i'd probably block em.. can't beat that tuning stability.. my friend hates coming around and i pull my guitars out and don't even bother to tune em :-D the trick with non-locking nuts was just to bend the strings up about 2 steps as you tune so they don't wind tighter when you bend later..

damn i went off on a tangent there :oops:
Mike

M2k
Judge, Jury and Executioner
My Rig: Jet City JCA100HDM Head
Jet City JC212 cab
ESP OS Forest GT
80's Lawsuit LP
Schecter Demon 7FR
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Good Transactions
Fikealox
rmartin04
shockme.au

Post by M2k » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 pm

i bought a cheap ESP Forest copy off ebay and it had a Floyd Rose copy, it restings the same way, the fella at the music store set the bridge up for 10-46 gauge strings, when i put new ones on all was fine until i did a tremolo dive and two of the saddles came fling out, snapped the screw holding it in place and all the other strings fell out of the saddles,

Now i'm gonna buy a proper floyd from luthier supplies
s_m_g wrote:Can someone translate this thread to guitar so I can understand what the hell you're all talking about?

I had Octoban once, it was kind of like calamari but a bit chewier.

xBig Alx
Apprentice Luthier
Apprentice Luthier
My Rig: An guitar.

Post by xBig Alx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:18 pm

M2k wrote:i bought a cheap ESP Forest copy off ebay and it had a Floyd Rose copy, it restings the same way, the fella at the music store set the bridge up for 10-46 gauge strings, when i put new ones on all was fine until i did a tremolo dive and two of the saddles came fling out, snapped the screw holding it in place and all the other strings fell out of the saddles,

Or buy a better guitar altogether.
Troy Destroy wrote:Big Al: Serial Joke Murderer
Circle of Metalheads on this board -->O .<-- Me, .<-- Shockers

I'm back, but not Straight Edge.
Fuck yeah.

M2k
Judge, Jury and Executioner
My Rig: Jet City JCA100HDM Head
Jet City JC212 cab
ESP OS Forest GT
80's Lawsuit LP
Schecter Demon 7FR
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Good Transactions
Fikealox
rmartin04
shockme.au

Post by M2k » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 am

xBig Alx wrote:
M2k wrote:i bought a cheap ESP Forest copy off ebay and it had a Floyd Rose copy, it restings the same way, the fella at the music store set the bridge up for 10-46 gauge strings, when i put new ones on all was fine until i did a tremolo dive and two of the saddles came fling out, snapped the screw holding it in place and all the other strings fell out of the saddles,

Or buy a better guitar altogether.
thats the plan b, i have bt got the money to buy a new guitar but i have enuf to buy the floyd
s_m_g wrote:Can someone translate this thread to guitar so I can understand what the hell you're all talking about?

I had Octoban once, it was kind of like calamari but a bit chewier.

russdogz_
Super senior
My Rig: LTD MH-401
LTD H-207
Custom black telecaster
Custom white telecaster
Ibanez RG7321 - zebrano

Line 6 G90
Furman PL-E II
Axe FX Ultra
Mackie HD1531

Post by russdogz_ » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 am

on my guitar, ive got this problem with my floyd.
when i dump the trem, i hear a cracking sound around where the locking nut is on the neck. it cracks again when i reverse whammy.

like pretty much every time i use it, i hear this creaking noise. i thought it was the locking nut, so i undid all the lock things on it and tightened the screws in the bottom. this stopped the creaking noise for a few days
i think it could be something to do with the truss rod? please give your ideas.. i dont want to try anything myself incase i break my neck..

like i dont know what way to turn the truss rod or how much to turn it.. my neck looks flat, it doesnt have a slight bow in it. if it does hit would be miniscule.
GRAVEYARDS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Graveyard ... 3408805460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:13 pm

How old's the guitar man? Schecter right? Billy Hydes? If it's under warranty take it back and have them check it before doing anything else.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook