Floyd Help Thread

Talk about whatever piece of gear you want - strings, picks, straps, whatever.
Troy Destroy
Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw
Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw

Floyd Help Thread

Post by Troy Destroy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm

I've noticed a few topics poppin up around the place. It's easier to keep em all together as an archive of advice kinda. So post away, questions, answers, boobs, go go go.
http://www.facebook.com/OverdriveSydney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
Moderator/Wrong Hander
My Rig: ET Katana FX7
Axe FX II > Mackie HD 1531

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:40 pm

haha troy what the hell is a boob? other than a slang for female anatomy, in particular the breast where milk is stored during pregnancy for a newborn infant to be fed to?

anyway :P, ill ask one to sort of get the ball rolling, just for other peoples cases, how should we adjust our action, and what sort of adjustments should we make when putting a new set of strings on? ;-)
devriescustomguitars wrote:nothing wrong with the trem route...even if there was, it makes no difference to how it sounds.
:lol:

My band: SERIES

For Fans of Textures, Devin Townsend, Gojira andMeshuggah

illuminati
Sub senior

Post by illuminati » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:36 pm

BOOBS FTW

hmm changing strings, some say change them one at a time... but i block the floyd up and change them all at once, gives me a chance to really give my guitar a once over. make sure you block up the floyd or else the springs will pull it too far down.

After a thorough cleaning i put the strings in the floyd section, tighten it up, thread it up and through the tuners giving myself enough slack for 2 twists around the tuner. then i do each string in turn. tighten till they feel just looser then normal tension. take the block out. tune each string check the floyd is level. if i have to adjust the springs i do that then retune. always estimating. cos once you adjust the springs it will be out of tune. so if you adjust so the floyd is level. when you retune it will be out again... so guestimate!! if using same guage etc. intonation and action shouldnt change much if at all.

If changing action i do that after i do all the above. using allen key adjust action to desired height. adjust truss rod to keep the action consistent. and then retune. truss rod adjustments should be done at a fraction of a turn. then check. then adjust again if needed.

tuning... some say start with the lightest string and work your way up.. i do the thickest then the lightest, then the thickest again. then i alternating missing strings in between starting at B (second thinest). then go light to heavy to fine tune.

mrp5150
Caparison Slut

Post by mrp5150 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:45 pm

I always tune the strings in this order...G, B, high E, D, A, low E. Saw that in an Eric Johnson video...and Eric Johnson is the man.

progmetaldan
Resident Fusion Junkie
My Rig: Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman 5
Caparison Horus Scarab/GO

Post by progmetaldan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Megadeth7684 wrote:I always tune the strings in this order...G, B, high E, D, A, low E. Saw that in an Eric Johnson video...and Eric Johnson is the man.

That's certainly reason enough for me... :lol:

I've never had a floyd rose guitar, so it's gonna be a whole new world for me when my Horus arrives... 8)
Dan

illuminati
Sub senior

Post by illuminati » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 pm

progmetalpilgrim wrote:I've never had a floyd rose guitar, so it's gonna be a whole new world for me when my Horus arrives... 8)

Was a big eye opener for me.

Now i think even if i didn't use one, i would want one on my guitar.
Maybe have one guitar without for recording.

mrp5150
Caparison Slut

Post by mrp5150 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:15 pm

My first guitar had a Floyd. I didn't know any better when buying it, I just thought the guitar looked cool. I love 'em though, FAR superior to a fixed bridge IMO.

progmetaldan
Resident Fusion Junkie

Post by progmetaldan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm quite looking fowards to it actually! :-D
Dan

KH Guitar Freak
Yo' daddy

Post by KH Guitar Freak » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Megadeth7684 wrote:My first guitar had a Floyd. I didn't know any better when buying it, I just thought the guitar looked cool. I love 'em though, FAR superior to a fixed bridge IMO.

Werd, and my first guitar which was a Hamer has a Floyd as well...

Richie
Ibanez bunny
My Rig: Caparison Horus Thunder Cloud
Ibanez RBM1-CA
Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez RG565LB
Ibanez RG550
Peavey Ultra 120
Trace Elliot 4x12 flat faced quad
Line 6 POD 2.0

Post by Richie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 pm

progmetalpilgrim wrote:
I've never had a floyd rose guitar, so it's gonna be a whole new world for me when my Horus arrives... 8)

FLOYD VIRGIN!!!!!! FLOYD VIRGIN!!!!!!

I remember I was living in germany years ago. I always used to hang out at a certain music store there... was awesome.

anyhow, a bloke came in, who was obviously a lifelong strat user. he was telling a story about how he'd bought his son an ESP George Lynch skulls and snakes sig... Mind you, this was back in the early early 90's.
anyhow, it was all good until they changed the strings and used a different gauge. they didn't understand nor realise the need to adjust the bridge due to a different tension, and thought the guitar was faulty. So, rather than take it to a tech to look at, they sold the guitar privately for about half what it was worth and were in said shop looking for a strat or les paul.
moral of this story... well there's two... strat owners suck... j/k...
and always check with a tech if you don't know what's going on with your guitar....

and remember
Floyds FTW.
Boobs > Floyds.

Rich
Seven String guitars... for people who've run out of ideas on a Six String.

Proudly endorsing DSL Straps and Pure Tone Strings

Join the petition to bring back :mrgreen:

PT ESP
Senior

Post by PT ESP » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:08 pm

My first guitar had a Floyd. I didn't know any better when buying it, I just thought the guitar looked cool. I love 'em though, FAR superior to a fixed bridge IMO.

Same here. I don't use them much anymore and consequently bought a couple of guitars with fixed bridges. Quickly discovered that playing with a floyd loaded guitar feels so much better and looser than with a fixed bridge. So it's worth the extra effort when changing strings.

progmetaldan
Resident Fusion Junkie

Post by progmetaldan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:14 pm

Richai wrote:
progmetalpilgrim wrote:

FLOYD VIRGIN!!!!!! FLOYD VIRGIN!!!!!!

Rich

correct, but not for long... :wink:
Dan

garwinphung
Junior

Post by garwinphung » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:05 am

hahhhahaa yea first guitar had a floyd....
kinda regret it cuase i don't have many guitars and i love to switch tunnings but its all good now got my ex from shane witch is fixed ..

On topic
there is a guitar body and neck and it doesn't have a floyd on
is it easy to install the locking nuts?

Guy in Latvia
Neighborhood Butcher

Post by Guy in Latvia » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:13 pm

haha the first electric i bought had a floyd but i had borrowed my friends yamaha for like a year beforehand so i developed excessive hate for the vintage tremolo :P

tollund23
Stoodley Explorer
My Rig: Splawn Pro Mod
Framus CS 2x12
Egnater Tweaker 15 1x12 Combo
Tokai LP
Custom Explorer
Martin Australian Series
Seagull S6 Original

Post by tollund23 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Well having owned guitars with Floyds and those without, I can say emphatically that I prefer a nice fixed bridge. Having said that, I love my Horus. But I know it's the only Floyd guitar I will have at the one time.