V-picks feedback

Talk about whatever piece of gear you want - strings, picks, straps, whatever.
Sky'
Sub senior

V-picks feedback

Post by Sky' » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi guys,

i'm currently playing some tortex "the wedge" picks and they're the best i tried, yet i only find them better than the standard 0.88, so my experience isn't really reliable. I was on the verge of ordering some Jazz III's from what i've learnt about them. Then when i searched for reviews, all that v-pick fashion came to my eyes, and they do look tasty :)
I felt I'd find some reviews out there as I believe some of the guys here only swear by Jazz III's. I'm kinda strong-handed and a tortex is down in about 1h30. The pick i'm lookin at - the screamer - features 3 even edges so it's supposed to last longer by switching edges, BUT it's about ten times the price of the good ol' tortex or Jazz III. I'm wondering if the acrylic-something material lasts longer than Dunlop's plastic, cause I just won't pay 3€ a day for a pick, be it the best sounding-feeling one.
Now if someone wants to review any of the V-picks here, that's appreciated too, although i'm quite convinced of how efficient they are soundwise and player-helping from what I checked.

Next step is selling all those tortex picks I bought if those V-picks last longer than a week ... 8-)

ShockMe.au
Beaver Roadie
My Rig: LTD KH Jr.
LTD KH Ouija.
LTD JH Truckster (Black)
LTD EC 400 VF
LTD EC 400 AT
DiMarzio modded Ibanez.
Ibanez Performance acoustic.

Laney LV300Twin.

Morpheus Drop Tune.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech Clapton Crossroads.
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2 NYC
MXR Fullbore Metal.
MXR Black Label Chorus.
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Noise Clamp
Boss ME-6 and Metal Zone.

Gassin' for a Tubemeister 18, 36 or Grandmeister 36!

Re: V-picks feedback

Post by ShockMe.au » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 pm

try the Jazz III they're cheap as normal picks. I find them excellent and hard wearing. You can even get the XL size, same shape just a bit bigger.
noob_pwn wrote:when i hear the term "tyrant bloodstorm" i think of my ex on the rag.
http://www.espguitars.com/users/1990076

Be EXCELLENT to each other and PARTY on Dudes!

dimmuland
Not so junior

Post by dimmuland » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 am

I use Jazz III and they are perfect for me. They take a little getting used to if coming from .88s, but once you go jazz III you don't go back, heh.

Sky'
Sub senior

Post by Sky' » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks for replying. Yeah i heard Jazz III are smaller picks than tortex, yet I think i'll give them a go at standard size. That's fine if i need to get used to them if they're pushing me to more accuracy. I think i'll order 1-2 v-picks just to compare to the jazz III's in terms of playability, sound and wear. They're not as cheap anywhere though, they're more than three times the tortex in some online stores.

schmitzel88
Yo' daddy
My Rig: Caparison TAT-II Frozen Sky
ESP M7 Original Series
Musicman Sterling Silhouette
Laney VH100R

Post by schmitzel88 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:02 am

Try out the ultex picks if you can. I'm usually a black tortex man, but a buddy of mine turned me towards the ultex ones, and they sound amazing and last forever. I was doing some heavy right hand work for an hour in a jam and it didn't wear one bit. Worth checking out
...because you can't spell "manslaughter" without "laughter"

Sky'
Sub senior

Post by Sky' » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:32 pm

schmitzel88 wrote:Try out the ultex picks if you can. I'm usually a black tortex
You're still talkin about Jazz III's right? i.e. those ones http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page ... ucts/picks ? They're not as easy to find as standard J3's but I'll try to get my hands on some. And they seem quite cheap too !
Anyone in EU wants to buy 6 packs of 12 Tortex "the wedge" 0.88's that i've left ? :lol:

ShockMe.au
Beaver Roadie
My Rig: LTD KH Jr.
LTD KH Ouija.
LTD JH Truckster (Black)
LTD EC 400 VF
LTD EC 400 AT
DiMarzio modded Ibanez.
Ibanez Performance acoustic.

Laney LV300Twin.

Morpheus Drop Tune.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech Clapton Crossroads.
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2 NYC
MXR Fullbore Metal.
MXR Black Label Chorus.
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Noise Clamp
Boss ME-6 and Metal Zone.

Gassin' for a Tubemeister 18, 36 or Grandmeister 36!

Post by ShockMe.au » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Shane has 'em
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod504.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmmm they're not really called Jazz III's but that does sound sooo much better than "the Jim Dunlop Nylon Stubby"..... :smt005
noob_pwn wrote:when i hear the term "tyrant bloodstorm" i think of my ex on the rag.
http://www.espguitars.com/users/1990076

Be EXCELLENT to each other and PARTY on Dudes!

dimmuland
Not so junior

Post by dimmuland » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:47 am

I'll have to try the ultex ones. I've used nylon jazz IIIs, but they are way too thick for me, even though it's nice they last forever. Seems the ultex could be a nice balance, I hated the nylon too for how slippery they are, and another reason I love the tortex... How are the ultex on slippage?

Sky'
Sub senior

Post by Sky' » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 am

Just ordered two different V-picks (screamer and small pointed, which is supposed to be closer to the Jazz III) and a 6-pack of ultex J3's (it's actually cheaper to ebay them from the US to EU than buying at a cyberstore there and get 10€ shipping fees :? ). I'll review them as far as my skills allow it (i'm no shredder yet). I'm wondering whether the "sticky" myth about V-picks is confirmed, plausible or busted :p
The wedge tortex slippage is bearable to me, yet I hope those ultex J3's are a bit more as they're smaller if i'm correct. And i do agree about some dunlop nylon picks i ordered w/ my first guitar that just won't stay between your fingers.

diablo272
Yo' daddy

Post by diablo272 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Personally the red Jazz-IIIs have the best feel and sound. If you hold them a bit lighter, they don't slip, even if your hands are sweaty. I have red Jazz-IIIs that I've had for over a year, and they're still in they're original shape. I have a pretty light touch, but still, I recommend the red Jazz IIIs if you can get used to them. Personally I think the black Jazz-IIIs sound like shit, thought I've never tried the Ultex ones. Not saying it isn't possible to sound good with the black ones, just that I sound like shit with them. To me, playing with red vs. black is like playing with tortoise shell vs, nylon fender style.

Aluthril
Junior
My Rig: ESP Original Forest GT -Modified Miracle Man Hum
ESP Artist A-I AOI
ESP SV NT BMF
1988 Carvin V220
Dean USA Mustaine VNMT #6
Jackson NAMM 05 Masterbuilt Quilted Warrior -Modified Warpig Set
BC Rich Calibre Warlock -Modified Nailbomb Set+Walnut Surrounds
BC Rich Calibre Mockingbird -Modified Chrome Surrounds
Warmoth Mockingbird
Gibson Custom 345
Epiphone SG 95
Acoustic Cordoba
Acoustic Francisco Bros
ENGL Thunder Reverb 50

Post by Aluthril » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Jazz III's are fantastic picks to use, although you may find them a little difficult to play live if you run around a lot.
Recently I have been mostly playing with Paul Gilbert's picks for lighter ones and the Dunlop Max Grip picks which have a very good grip. I also quite like ESP's branded sharp picks but they are a bit too difficult to ship here in quantity (uk) to use them casually.

Sky'
Sub senior

Post by Sky' » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:59 am

Actually, i ended reordering small pointed ones. What i like most is their thickness, it feels more natural a position to play. Compared to ultex J3's which i use too, i'd say v-picks makes you a bit more sensitive and aware about the accuracy of your playing. Once you get it right, they're absolutely flawless, in a way i never encountered with J3's.
Taking an advice from their website, i started re-cutting some of the edges to accomodate with the wear, because you don't throw a $5 pick like you'd do with a worn 40 cents pick :lol: I used to wear down a tortex "the wedge" 0.88 in less than two hours, whereas one small pointed lasts for a month (2 hours/day on average), because there are 3 edges, because you pay much more attention not screwing up your pick and because of the re-cutting thing.
As i said earlier, the grip is as efficient as it's supposed to be, as long as you wash your hands along with your pick before playing, which you'd do anyway if you have the slightest bit of concern about your strings. That grip + its small size builds confidence and accuracy imho. I'm not sweating like i do with Dunlops. I now feel they're really worth their price. Plus I order them in a UK store, Madison and Fifth, and they usually send a free pick along. Again, that's just me, and Jazz III are indeed fine picks to play.