DigiTech GSP-1101 and Control 2

Post and read reviews on any amps, effects, and all other bits and pieces for guit-fiddles here.
Richie
Ibanez bunny
My Rig: Caparison Horus Thunder Cloud
Ibanez RBM1-CA
Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez RG565LB
Ibanez RG550
Peavey Ultra 120
Trace Elliot 4x12 flat faced quad
Line 6 POD 2.0

Post by Richie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 am

way to take things off topic guys.

but to continue on, the 1101 was another of my considerations, especially as it has the preamp loop function. could have the best of both worlds with modelled amp gain and use the dirty channels on my head.
Seven String guitars... for people who've run out of ideas on a Six String.

Proudly endorsing DSL Straps and Pure Tone Strings

Join the petition to bring back :mrgreen:

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Re: DigiTech GSP-1101 and Control 2

Post by Thrashanova » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 am

Richie wrote:way to take things off topic guys.

but to continue on, the 1101 was another of my considerations, especially as it has the preamp loop function. could have the best of both worlds with modelled amp gain and use the dirty channels on my head.
Exactly how Im gonna test it out today with my switchblade head :)
First I set it up to run stright into my amps loop (setup mode 2), wasn't very impressed compared to my amps own sounds but I was just using the factory presets, the "heavy" sounds were weak as piss.
Then direct (mode 3) into protools got a bit better - there is massive amounts of output coming out of these things and I'm thinking thats why a lot of people are thinking there are problems with it "feeding-back" - they need to get their gain structures sorted out.
You definately need to tweak the sounds a lot and I find that unlike a real high-gain amp where I set the gain to somewhere near half way you really need to have the gains higher with the models plus add one of the distortion boxes too - there just isn't any poweramp distortion/grunt I guess.
The Control2 controller is way better than the Control1 (well apart from not actually having a working EXP!), the switches are pretty heavyduty and the lcd is massive, plus it has the wah function like on the line6's. Best of all, there is no stupid half-a-second delay when changing patches, it's instantaneous.
It a hell of a lot easier to program than the old 2101/2112/2120's - especially with X-Edit, but then you cant have as many effects at once or dual signal chains either. The effects seem to be at least on par with the 2120, but as yet I havn't been able to try anything except the wah with the expression pedal - and shane as for the cc's, well theres simply a link to one of four controllers or 16 other cc numbers. It's really hard to get wrong on the 1101 and apart from that the expression pedal aint changing volume or any other parameter in any factory patch, even those with links, my only conclusion is this pedal is a dud. Also the ethernet cable is stuck in at both ends......yay for me having to explain this to work if I cant get em out :cry: not a word!
Overall, in two days I've gone from not liking it to thinking I seriously want one. The more I tweak it the better it is.
The clean sounds are very good (like the 2120), and the dirty-cleans break up quite nicely and "un-digitally". The Plexi/Vox/Matchless type midgain sounds would sound better with a gibson or something woodier than my Ibanez...
The distortions/amp models are certainly the best from digitech yet, but still have got a bit of that processed nature - good for some and not for others, but I think it would compliment my amp perfectly as the amp has the "bark" I like.
Im gonna try it out with the head in the 1101 loop next, so I'll add my findings later tonight.

Did I mention there's a bass for sale?
Bass Player needed for Melbourne Prog/Death/Thrash/Metal band. Check out my page @ http://www.myspace.com/thrashanova" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get in contact if you like what you hear.
\m/

Richie
Ibanez bunny
My Rig: Caparison Horus Thunder Cloud
Ibanez RBM1-CA
Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez RG565LB
Ibanez RG550
Peavey Ultra 120
Trace Elliot 4x12 flat faced quad
Line 6 POD 2.0

Post by Richie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:42 am

wow, thanks for the in depth review.
sounds pretty good. though I wouldn't be getting the digitech control pedal for it. I have my trusty Behringer fcb1010 with analogue channel switching for my head.
do you know if the half second patch change delay is inherant to using midi control to change or has it just been fixed in this unit?
I do realise that digitech use their own switching language for the control 1 and 2 footboards.
Seven String guitars... for people who've run out of ideas on a Six String.

Proudly endorsing DSL Straps and Pure Tone Strings

Join the petition to bring back :mrgreen:

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Post by Thrashanova » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 pm

Richie wrote:wow, thanks for the in depth review.
sounds pretty good. though I wouldn't be getting the digitech control pedal for it. I have my trusty Behringer fcb1010 with analogue channel switching for my head.
do you know if the half second patch change delay is inherant to using midi control to change or has it just been fixed in this unit?
I do realise that digitech use their own switching language for the control 1 and 2 footboards.
Yeah in my opinion they shouldve added a switching relay or two or three for changing amps channels and such, it doesnt affect me as my amp has midi switching anyway, but why its taken manufacturers so long to start doing this is beyond me. If I do decide to get one of these then Ill be going the whole hog and getting a gcx switcher and an isp prorack gate too, after all one rack unit looks pretty wussy by itself haha
The patchchange delay is inherent in some units and not others and can range from barely noticeable to absolutely obvious, it certainly was in the old digitech rack units and completely at odds with a processor so advanced. Like I said the changing is instanstaneous with the 1101 and the control2 and should also be with any other midi footcontroller, but if you're sold on the fcb1010 then I'd be trying them together first to make sure. BTW you save a couple hundred by buying the 1101&Control2 together, Id recommend it if you were going to get one just for the compatability, but then there's the channel changing thing....good luck!
Bass Player needed for Melbourne Prog/Death/Thrash/Metal band. Check out my page @ http://www.myspace.com/thrashanova" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get in contact if you like what you hear.
\m/

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Also the ethernet cable is stuck in at both ends......yay for me having to explain this to work if I cant get em out not a word!
:-) Well, tell them you got it like that, and say, "hey, incidentally, I reckon the same person that jammed that cable in there in Salt Lake City also fucked the expression pedal!"

Either that or just throw it in some pile of Rob's somewhere and lay it on him. He won't remember when, where or how it got there :lol:
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Re: LTD JeremyMarshall JM500 5 string Bass $700 *Endorsee Owned*

Post by Thrashanova » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Richie wrote: could have the best of both worlds with modelled amp gain and use the dirty channels on my head.
Well Ive just been running my amp's preamp thru the 1101's loop and it works absolutely great, especially as you can set the loop on/off to one of the switches and toggle between your amp and the amp modelling with the footswitch, which I did excessively for about half an hour, its freaking awesome haha.
I must say my hughes&kettner preamp has way more balls than the modelled stuff, but the 1101's fx, eq, compressor and distortion pedals have really helped refined my tone again and made me think I was eddie van halen for an hour, so that can only be a good thing :lol: I didn't even stuff with the noise gate, and Ive read negative comments about it, but switching it in sure quited down my rig. It wont replace my rig but I'll definately be lay-buying one of these puppies! I can only imagine that it'll sound better and better the more I stuff round with it, that and get a controller that works 8-)
Oh to point out some cons before I forget - when changing tap tempos you get a "wizzing" noise, and when plugging the 1101 into the pc via usb to use X-Edit the 1101 takes over as my system soundcard and so iTunes etc... played back thru my amp which is very not cool. Unless someone knows how to do this a different way, I have to restart my pc after using X-Edit so it reverts to my digidesign drivers :?

(EDIT: in the X-Edit software you can go to View_ USB settings and turn on or off the playback signal thru both the XLR and 1/4" outs. You can also change the recording level here.)
Last edited by Thrashanova on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\m/

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 pm

When they announced these things I was very much looking forward to seeing the toggling, loop on/offs, front and loop options, something that, in retrospect, should have been done loooong ago, as I ALWAYS ended up ditching all-in-one rack gear cos I was beholden to one type of routing or another from the unit to the amp, and no real tweakability in between. About time DigiTech built something really serious again, at least for guitarists.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

samrad
Yo' daddy
My Rig: PRS Guitars
Caparison Guitars
Gibson Guitars
Randall Amplifiers
Digitech Effects

Post by samrad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks for the reviews guys, gotta say is looking like I am quite sold on this unit.

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Post by Thrashanova » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 am

Oh yeah I emailed Digitech about the expression pedal, all the links to the Control2's expression pedal need to be set to Controller 2 (FCPDL1) and not Controller 1 (Expression Pedal)...........strange, but true.
It works, but that still means it wont work with the factory presets, youll need to make this change and store it in a user memory location.
Keep note Shane san!
\m/

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:22 pm

^ Nice one mate, mucho helpful down the track that will be! Thanks. Enjoying ze day(s) of leisure mate?
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Post by Thrashanova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 am

guitarsatbmusic wrote:^ Nice one mate, mucho helpful down the track that will be! Thanks. Enjoying ze day(s) of leisure mate?
Hell yes bro, 4 day weekends are always nice :P Apparently there was some big horserace on somewhere round the corner.
Problem is we ain't got much on so I've got the rest of the week off at least, but no work = no pay :(
Might have to get back into a covers band to make ends meet. Oh the shame!
\m/

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am

Problem is we ain't got much on so I've got the rest of the week off at least, but no work = no pay
That's cos the Croats can't make up their god damn minds as to what prices are going up :shock: No one's wanting to buy, or they got sucked in to buying a shitload at the end of October with the threat of price rises hanging over them. Not sure how we're supposed to keep selling stuff when the price "might" go up by the time I land it :?
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Post by Thrashanova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm

guitarsatbmusic wrote:
Problem is we ain't got much on so I've got the rest of the week off at least, but no work = no pay
That's cos the Croats can't make up their god damn minds as to what prices are going up :shock: No one's wanting to buy, or they got sucked in to buying a shitload at the end of October with the threat of price rises hanging over them. Not sure how we're supposed to keep selling stuff when the price "might" go up by the time I land it :?
:-) :-) :-) :smt041
Laugh of the day, thanks hehe. Mate I hope at least you can keep it moving, or I'll be applying for a job in Kevin Rudd's Shred Guitar Squad ie the dole.
\m/

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Price rises (what there were of them) came through this arvo. Little pain for now, even some price drops (VERY minor). Mainly Randall, some Washys, H & K, all good and far less painful than they made it seem. Now all the reps can fend off all the angry retailers who were sucked into buying up last week "before the price rise" :lol:
No ESP or LTD price rises 8-)
Hopefully it gets stores buying again.
Some of my ESPs should be rolling in this week, WTF at not having Ryan there? :shock: S-VIII Brilliant MixedMedia, another of the ones yas love with the alfoil on, but this time, one of 40, $14.5K RRP!
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Thrashanova
Not so junior

Post by Thrashanova » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:03 am

Dude its all very un-rocknroll isnt it? Politics can blow my you know what. And mate if they prefer to pay apes over someone who actually knows what theyre doing and that actually gives a damn, well then that's their perogative (spelling? haha)
Does the guy spending $14.5k on the sVIII wanna just commision a really nicely decked out home studio for me instead :lol:
\m/