Custom ESP or not?

This is the place to talk about your Custom ESPs or ask questions about how to get yourself a Custom ESP.
haooomaru
Yo' daddy
My Rig: ESP Eclipse Std

Custom ESP or not?

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:56 pm

Just a small introduction, hey I'm new here. I've only been playing guitar for about 3 months. Prior to guitar I have been learning piano (and I still am). I don't know if any of you guys like J-rock, but I primarily listen to X JAPAN, Nightmare and The GazettE.

I currently own a ESP LTD F-50 (which is probably the lowest of the lowest end guitars in ESP), and I'm thinking about making a custom shop order. I heard they take 4-8 months to arrive, so I figure that should be enough time before I become acceptable in the guitar playing field. What are your opinions?

Firstly, say I send my form in now and I get a price quote. I can wait until say next month before I send a reply back saying I want to purchase it, right?

Also, say my guitar is around $5000. Approximately how big will the deposit be? Then, will the guitar be in some kind of hard case or something when it is being shipped?

Lastly, do you think I would ever have to get any other guitar if I make the custom purchase now?

Sorry if these questions are really dumb or have been answered many times :(.

Thanks for your time.

Also, I apologise to the bmusic admin for sending so many custom order forms, I couldn't make up my mind properly. Sorry for the trouble.

Fikealox
Theory Fiend

Post by Fikealox » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

To be honest, I think your tastes in guitars will change too much over the next year or two to make buying a custom guitar a good idea.

-HeretiC-
Set The Skies Ablaze

Post by -HeretiC- » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah.
If you're just starting out then don't buy a custom yet. Get good and play a fuckload of guitars til you know EXACTLY what you like the feel and sound of before you go and spend $5k+ on a custom.
How spewin would you be if you didn't even commit to playing guitar and u had to pay for the custom? Or if you hated what you ordered when it was to late to change?
Lot's of things there to consider mate.
Don't be deterred from what I say though, by all means, hit shane up =]
:-D

haooomaru
Yo' daddy

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've definitely considered the trying lots of guitar part, but the problem is I barely know anyone who own and play (a different) guitar and at the same time I can go over and start playing for fun. And I don't really feel like buying guitars just to try them out, as well.

How spewin would you be if you didn't even commit to playing guitar and u had to pay for the custom? Or if you hated what you ordered when it was to late to change?

I hear you, man. I think I'll just wait and train a while before I start considering again.

I know this is sort of off topic, but how many people here have a guitar teacher? Is it worth it? I'm just wondering I guess.

-HeretiC-
Set The Skies Ablaze

Post by -HeretiC- » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:03 pm

haooomaru wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've definitely considered the trying lots of guitar part, but the problem is I barely know anyone who own and play (a different) guitar and at the same time I can go over and start playing for fun. And I don't really feel like buying guitars just to try them out, as well.

I hear you, man. I think I'll just wait and train a while before I start considering again.

I know this is sort of off topic, but how many people here have a guitar teacher? Is it worth it? I'm just wondering I guess.

Go to a local music store and play their guitars, that's the best thing to do to find things you like mate. But if you have a local music store, buy from there! I hate people that don't buy from their local music store!! haha.

I'm 16 years old and have been playing for 8 years and still get guitar lessons. They're highly beneficial I think. They're great for keeping you out of bad guitar habits and very good for the learning process, especially with beginners.

haooomaru
Yo' daddy

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 pm

-HeretiC- wrote:

Go to a local music store and play their guitars, that's the best thing to do to find things you like mate. But if you have a local music store, buy from there! I hate people that don't buy from their local music store!! haha.

I'm 16 years old and have been playing for 8 years and still get guitar lessons. They're highly beneficial I think. They're great for keeping you out of bad guitar habits and very good for the learning process, especially with beginners.

Haha, nah I don't have a local music store unfortunately. Yeah I'll try and find a music store next time and try out some guitars.

Thanks for the tip. I should probably get guitar lessons as well.

-HeretiC-
Set The Skies Ablaze

Post by -HeretiC- » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 pm

haooomaru wrote:
-HeretiC- wrote:

Haha, nah I don't have a local music store unfortunately. Yeah I'll try and find a music store next time and try out some guitars.

Maaate, you live in Sydney... There is like a million in sydney. Haha
There's like a million alone alone Parramatta Road haha

hermz
Amp-addicted Sandgroper
My Rig: I buy what Shane tells me to.

Post by hermz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Although it sounds a lot like something I would do, I do a lot of stupid things so I've gotta advise against ordering a custom just yet.

Wait until you've been playing for at least a year and you've had plenty of time to try a lot of different guitars and find exactly what you want in a guitar.

haooomaru
Yo' daddy

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

-HeretiC- wrote:
haooomaru wrote:
-HeretiC- wrote:

Maaate, you live in Sydney... There is like a million in sydney. Haha
There's like a million alone alone Parramatta Road haha

Haha, is it. Which one(s) are good?

Although it sounds a lot like something I would do, I do a lot of stupid things so I've gotta advise against ordering a custom just yet.

Wait until you've been playing for at least a year and you've had plenty of time to try a lot of different guitars and find exactly what you want in a guitar.

Thanks for your input!

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've seen your custom quotes, they'll all turn out about the same. but I too would advise against getting a custom. You won't be able to appreciate the finer points that make a custom guitar or any very high end what they are. If you buy/play/spend a lot of time getting used to guitarsa t each level of build you'll appreciate each level as they go up. Buying customs is the end of one's evolution in buying guitars, because once you buy a custom or Original Series at that level, it is very, very difficult to go back again, and that makes it VERY expensive if you want to do what we all love to do, and that's own lots of guitars 8)
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

haooomaru
Yo' daddy

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:22 pm

Hey :). Yeah, I understand now. Thanks. I've decided I'm going to go for ESP LTD EC-500 instead and see how that goes. I didn't know there was an Eclipse-shape with 24 frets, actually. And $1500 just seems so much more manageable than $6000.

I guess there's no point of this thread since I won't be getting a custom anymore. Thanks for everyone's input on this. Luckily I posted here or else I might've actually bought it.

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:30 pm

No, the thread will answer the same questions a lot of people had. Don't be afraid to ask anything mate. And buy your Eclipse from us :P :-D
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

haooomaru
Yo' daddy

Post by haooomaru » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Oh, that's cool then :).

Well I've noticed that there are different tuners, such as Gotoh, Sperzel Locking, Grover, etc. What is the difference and what makes one more expensive than the other?

And yeah, I'll buy it from here since it's the most logical place for it anyway XD.

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:56 pm

There are locking tuners, Gotoh and Sperzel used by ESP, Gotohs specifically nowadays. I prefer Gotoh, some prefer Sperzel. Grover, Gotoh, much of a muchness unless you're getting into their specifics like mini rotomatics and the like, which aren't on ESP or many other brands anyways. All quality tuners are just that, don't find stinker tuners on anything much these days. Locking tuners are good, but far from an essential on an fixed bridge guitar, or a Floyd guitar for that matter, they're on FR guitars just because some people find a string change quicker with them, they don't assist in locking the strings when the nut's locked down anyways.
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

xBig Alx
Apprentice Luthier
Apprentice Luthier
My Rig: An guitar.

Post by xBig Alx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:42 am

guitarsatbmusic.com.au wrote:And buy your Eclipse from us :P :-D

Shameless self-selling.

:lol: :P
Troy Destroy wrote:Big Al: Serial Joke Murderer
Circle of Metalheads on this board -->O .<-- Me, .<-- Shockers