Dire En Grey Toshiya

Discuss Signature Series ESPs and LTDs past and present.
Vladakris
Not so junior

Dire En Grey Toshiya

Post by Vladakris » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 pm

I dont play the bass and im a guitar person, but I noticed a certain Bass Toshiya was playing in a video. Im praying to god he didnt somehow get a weird Dean, but maybe this is a new model hes been using lately. So maybe its a new ESP model for him? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvaZP4_9EHY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Kyo's new black hair = win

ryushi2040
Yo' daddy

Re: Dire En Grey Toshiya

Post by ryushi2040 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:31 am

I was lucky enough to see them in london last night, phenominal gig!!Toshi does indeed use two different shaped basses now both with Dean Headstocks, however i was too far back to make out the company name but it didnt look like Dean. furthermore he was also using a Halibut bass aswell as still being on Espjapan as a endorsed artist.
I think he has just finally been allowed a redesign and a custom shape and thats what he chose.
Also worth noting is that Die had a new custom.
Basically the same as his other one but with a black stripe effect ala Van Halen. Very nice

Edit for pics

Group featuring his all black version

Black and white rising sun graphic

Die custom
*Fact- That lady has 4 Chins

Vladakris
Not so junior

Post by Vladakris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah ive seen Die's new custom, Love it, but Toshiya's new guitar is just ugly, It may be because I hate Deans, and there Headstocks. Though I did wonder if it might have been a Killer bass sense he used to be endorsed by that company, is he not using his old signature ESP models anymore? What about Kaoru, him being my favorite of the band I saw that he had an ESP with the skull on it, but did you see anything new from him?

ryushi2040
Yo' daddy

Post by ryushi2040 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:52 pm

Tbh mate although i have an aversion to the headstock as well just like you it was inevitable he would produce something like this.Toshiyas always prefered heavier basses as it allows him to play in an almost double bass stance, i mean look at the Killer 3epo he used to use!

He didnt use any of his other basses apart from one Esp Halibut that looked similar to this again note how heavier that body is lol

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/ha ... libut.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Finally we must remember that when Esp gave both Die and Kaoru custom body shapes years ago, toshiya wasnt allowed them and just got a Gibson RD shape which im sure was because he transfered a while after the other two got theres.
Im pretty sure the new basses are just ESP finally allowing him a signature shape, lets face it if he were endorsed by DEAN they would not let him bring on an ESP halibut midset.

As for Kaoru, nothing new sadly.Your right he did use a skull viper but thats mearly the edwards promotional one that was released ages ago made to ESP standards.
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/kaoru/ek130vp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No new guitars for him sadly.

Last thing...On both Kaoru's guitars and totchis basses the headstock were different and had those numbers that you can see on Toshiyas in the picture.I think Karou was 01 and Toshiyas was 02, they definately werent stickers they look painted on.This would also link his bass as an ESP i think.
I hope this helps you out dude.

matt

M2k
Judge, Jury and Executioner
My Rig: Jet City JCA100HDM Head
Jet City JC212 cab
ESP OS Forest GT
80's Lawsuit LP
Schecter Demon 7FR
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Good Transactions
Fikealox
rmartin04
shockme.au

Post by M2k » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Those Japs have some interestig looking guitars
s_m_g wrote:Can someone translate this thread to guitar so I can understand what the hell you're all talking about?

I had Octoban once, it was kind of like calamari but a bit chewier.

Vladakris
Not so junior

Post by Vladakris » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:25 am

Im not a bass player but If I ever found it interesting, id try and play like Toshi, his style was always great. Hum, I wonder what the numbers mean, I mean I know Kaoru is #1 (Haha yes I am biased) but its interesting. I think Toshi's killer models were more interesting thought especially the Bio mechanical Bug. Yeah I know Dean wouldnt endorse him because he isnt in a redneck metal band hahaha! :-D Im guessing its either an ESP custom like you said, or he may have went back to killer. Though it does seem weird that after all these years he finally got a custom shape, I figure they'll put it in the ESP blog soon if its actually important. Koaru's Vipers are just orgasmic though. I saw him using a red one with his weird silver ash finish with gold hardware, wow id die for that thing. The way the archtop/bevels work on that guitar just make the viper look so much better.

Lol looking at the first picture Toshi's bass looks like it has Jaguar on the top, Possibility it could be an edwards? Look at this ESP though, VERY similar
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/ikuzone/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ryushi2040
Yo' daddy

Post by ryushi2040 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm

EVERYONE REJOICE!!!!

Proffesional photos have hit the web of the gig i was at and guess what?Its an ESP!!!

http://www.jame-world.com/uk/articles-6 ... ondon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vladakris
Not so junior

Post by Vladakris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:52 am

ryushi2040 wrote:EVERYONE REJOICE!!!!

Proffesional photos have hit the web of the gig i was at and guess what?Its an ESP!!!

http://www.jame-world.com/uk/articles-6 ... ondon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where do you see an ESP logo at? All I see is a weird X design on the headstock :-D
I wonder if or when ESP will release it, his old signature model has been dubbed dead I havent seen him use it for over a year. Just that new thing, and the halibut.

ryushi2040
Yo' daddy

Post by ryushi2040 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:40 pm

its there mate its just got a pattern either side of it but ii can definately see ESP

Grunge
Yo' daddy

Post by Grunge » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:09 am

This:

http://espguitars.co.jp/artist/ikuzone/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basis from Dragon Ash had this shape for quite a while which is where Toshiya got it from.
Hope it helps.

Hello everyone btw, long time no read. :)

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Andy :smt006
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Vladakris
Not so junior

Post by Vladakris » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Shameless plug. The gear scans I found!

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum ... 29#p203029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;