Musical theory study help

A place to talk about the theoretical side of guitar playing and music in general.
gtarmanrob
Junior
My Rig: Framus Cobra w/ Voodoo Labs Footswitch
Mesa Boogie 2x12 (V30's)

Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36
Orange 1x12 Closed-Back (V30)

LTD F-2005 Limited Anniversary Model
LTD M-302
Jackson Randy Rhoads RR24
ESP Eclipse-I CTM
PRS Santana SE
BC Rich Warlock
Emperion 7-String Blood Red

Digitech Whammy DT
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell Wah
Ibanez TS-808
Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz
MXR Van Halen Phase 90
Boss CH-1 SuperChorus
MXR Carbon Copy
T-Rex Tonebug Reverb
MXR Noise Clamp
Half the Joyo Range

Musical theory study help

Post by gtarmanrob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm

G'day

Ok so here's my drama. I wanna get real into writing and producing my own music. Heaps of influences, but my style lately is quite industrial if you had to generalise it. I actually tend to write music that would suit a video game environment. My dream would be to write scores for video games.

Anyway I've been playing guitar for like 14 years so I'm fairly confident around the fretboard, but I always learned tabs and have no musical theory. I can read the basics of music, but that's it.

It's sorta like, being able to tell a really good story, while being illiterate.

I work in the mines so uni/tafe study is not a real option. I wanna try learn what I can for myself. I read a lot anyway, so can you guys recommend any solid musical theory reading material? How to properly read music, but also understand and assist in writing and composing music.

I've noticed Helen coopers "how to read music" can anyone comment on it?

It's a tall ask for self learning, musical theory. But any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm finally over being able to write music that I love and want to make into something more, but when someone asks how I wrote it or what key it is etc I'm like "ummmm, it just felt right and sounds right, fuck knows what I played"

abhiyen
Junior
My Rig: John Petrucci JP7 BFR
ET Guitars Katana

Axe Fx 2

Mackie HD 1221

Re: Musical theory study help

Post by abhiyen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Learning the very basics like the different kinds of clefs, the length of different notes, key signatures etc, is the best place to start. You'll get loads of info about them on the internet so fret not (Pun intended).

As far as finding what key a piece of music is in, learning the modes is EXTREMELY important.

Hope this helps.

M2k
Judge, Jury and Executioner
My Rig: Jet City JCA100HDM Head
Jet City JC212 cab
ESP OS Forest GT
80's Lawsuit LP
Schecter Demon 7FR
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Good Transactions
Fikealox
rmartin04
shockme.au

Post by M2k » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm

I'd suggest learning the circle of fifths and relative minors too
s_m_g wrote:Can someone translate this thread to guitar so I can understand what the hell you're all talking about?

I had Octoban once, it was kind of like calamari but a bit chewier.

gtarmanrob
Junior
My Rig: Framus Cobra w/ Voodoo Labs Footswitch
Mesa Boogie 2x12 (V30's)

Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36
Orange 1x12 Closed-Back (V30)

LTD F-2005 Limited Anniversary Model
LTD M-302
Jackson Randy Rhoads RR24
ESP Eclipse-I CTM
PRS Santana SE
BC Rich Warlock
Emperion 7-String Blood Red

Digitech Whammy DT
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell Wah
Ibanez TS-808
Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz
MXR Van Halen Phase 90
Boss CH-1 SuperChorus
MXR Carbon Copy
T-Rex Tonebug Reverb
MXR Noise Clamp
Half the Joyo Range

Post by gtarmanrob » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey guys First up apologies for the thread necro although is my own thread. Can't believe I never thanked yous for the replies.

Ok anyway so I've had a couple lessons on keyboard and have created a few song arrangements from pre-recorded loops.

So now I've decided, I'm going to study. Can anyone give advice on the best place in Perth to study music theory + composition? Targeted towards game development in the future.

Online courses would be great, otherwise the best campus to study at, that would be willing to give my limited theoretical ability a chance haha.

Cheers

Tom
Junior

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:12 pm

I know this is old but check out SAE institute they have a small building in perth where they do courses and have recording studios, game/media development. Otherwise you can also do certificate 2 and 3 in music at central institute of technology.