Looking for a guitar teacher - Sydney city area

A place to talk about the theoretical side of guitar playing and music in general.
Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Looking for a guitar teacher - Sydney city area

Post by Dimesy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 pm

Hey fella's I'm looking for recommendations on a guitar teacher in the Sydney city / North Shore area. I was on the central coast and moved so I can't go to my old teacher anymore on a regular basis. I'm at North Sydney myself so the closer the better but I have a car and I'm prepared to drive to lessons.

Styles of music I'm into, mainly rock / metal but I appreciate other styles as well (I'm not close minded to learning them either). As well as technique / theory I'm interested in learning about songwriting as well and someone that has experience with that would be good.

If you know anyone you thinks good or you teach and you think you can help I'd like to hear from you. My level is somewhere between beginner / intermediate I'd say.

Thanks,
Dimes

FOT
Lefty ESP Overlord. Proprietor of the Leftorium – Sydney
My Rig: Includes:

ESP Horizon
Charles Cilia Custom
Martin HD-28 Custom

Kemper Powered Toaster
Kemper Remote

Re: Looking for a guitar teacher - Sydney city area

Post by FOT » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:46 pm

http://www.guitarstudio.com.au/

Here is where I go mate... Brilliant for theory, and songwriting. They're in Marickville.

Also, Stu from here teaches. But not in the Sydney City area, about an hour away (south west). But he does do Skype lessons.

I also have lessons with Stu and couldn't recommend him highly enough, as will many people from the forum who also are taught by Stu.

Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Post by Dimesy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 am

Dave The Fot wrote:http://www.guitarstudio.com.au/

Here is where I go mate... Brilliant for theory, and songwriting. They're in Marickville.

Also, Stu from here teaches. But not in the Sydney City area, about an hour away (south west). But he does do Skype lessons.

I also have lessons with Stu and couldn't recommend him highly enough, as will many people from the forum who also are taught by Stu.
Cheers Dave I checked out the Guitar Studio website and they look exactly like what I'm after. I'll be giving them a call today to organise some lessons!

Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Post by Dimesy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am

Stu would also be good but yeah probably a bit too far away for me. He'd be awesome for learning some metal licks from though.

FOT

ESP Horizon
Charles Cilia Custom
Martin HD-28 Custom

Kemper Powered Toaster
Kemper Remote

Post by FOT » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am

Good luck there mate! You will learn heaps from Harry and Justin.

Jackson man
Yo' daddy

Post by Jackson man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Highly recommend Stu even if its just a one off or monthly thing take advantage of the skype lessons if you arent up for travel well worth it.
Gotta love that satisfaction you get from playing a Jackson.

Fikealox
Theory Fiend

Post by Fikealox » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah, you wont find a better or more dedicated teacher, that's for sure

Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Post by Dimesy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Cheers for the tip Dave. Went to my first lesson with Harry the other nite and he's great.

Might wait and see how I go with Harry's lessons for a while but to maybe get a different perspective / some ideas might have one with Stu down the track on a one off basis perhaps.

FOT

ESP Horizon
Charles Cilia Custom
Martin HD-28 Custom

Kemper Powered Toaster
Kemper Remote

Post by FOT » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:10 pm

That's awesome mate!

Did you get your little workbook? hehe Mine is scribbled in so much that it's beyond readable. But those notes do come in handy almost every time I sit down and play. Well they used to before I had them memorised.

Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Post by Dimesy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am

Haha yeah I walked out with workbook in hand!

And the notes are good. Will be having a look at them again in about an hours time. Gotta get some more practice in.

Thanks again mate I think this is gonna really help my playing.

FOT

ESP Horizon
Charles Cilia Custom
Martin HD-28 Custom

Kemper Powered Toaster
Kemper Remote

Post by FOT » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:26 am

No worries mate!

I'll hit Harry up for a finders fee now HAHAHA....

I've been going there for over 12 months, every single week... I have noticed a massive improvement in all aspects of my playing. Also my theory...

diablo272
Yo' daddy

Post by diablo272 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 pm

If anyone needs help with theory, I can TRY and help...I was a music major in college, not that that means I know what the fuck I'm doing, but if you have any elementary theory questions, I can probably answer them, or I can probably like frame the answer in a guitar perspective. No guarantees, but I can try and help out anyway.

But honestly, as someone who knows a bit about music theory, you shouldn't put too much stock in it. Theory is kind of gay. It's kind of like, you just came up with a cool riff, and then a week later you're reading in your theory book, and you're like, "Oh, so THAT'S why that riff sounded so good, its because of this principle in music theory!" I found myself saying that in my head a lot, and really there shouldn't be any "rules" in music, it should just be about the sound and what makes you feel good. That said, theory is still interesting and in some ways pretty important, moreso if you're like a composer or someone who isn't just a guitarist. Anyway...the offer is there.

Also, my checking in with the forums here has been spotty at best lately, so if I don't reply to a question you have, it's because I haven't checked the forums, not because I don't want to help you out.

Dimesy
Yo' daddy

Post by Dimesy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:54 am

diablo272 wrote:If anyone needs help with theory, I can TRY and help...I was a music major in college, not that that means I know what the fuck I'm doing, but if you have any elementary theory questions, I can probably answer them, or I can probably like frame the answer in a guitar perspective. No guarantees, but I can try and help out anyway.

But honestly, as someone who knows a bit about music theory, you shouldn't put too much stock in it. Theory is kind of gay. It's kind of like, you just came up with a cool riff, and then a week later you're reading in your theory book, and you're like, "Oh, so THAT'S why that riff sounded so good, its because of this principle in music theory!" I found myself saying that in my head a lot, and really there shouldn't be any "rules" in music, it should just be about the sound and what makes you feel good. That said, theory is still interesting and in some ways pretty important, moreso if you're like a composer or someone who isn't just a guitarist. Anyway...the offer is there.

Also, my checking in with the forums here has been spotty at best lately, so if I don't reply to a question you have, it's because I haven't checked the forums, not because I don't want to help you out.
Cheers for the offer mate.

Mandi
Junior

Post by Mandi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Im looking to find a good guitar teacher (with tons of patience) that can teach me the basics from the beginning.
Started to learn to play when i bought my beast from Shane many years ago but life took over and now im ready to take it up again properly.
Is Harry's guitar studio his house or something? And i see he doesn't teach the beginners so would this be something appropriate for me?

Beckerfan
Sub senior

Post by Beckerfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

hey Mandi you in Sydney? Ive been wanting to get into teaching guitar and would do lessons for free for a while atleast. It would be good practice for me, and you get a lesson. Ive been studying music in various TAFEs and got my diploma, I then went to GIT (musicians institute in Hollywood) for a year. I can teach all bout theory and reading music if you like as well as chops ect.

heres my youtube page if you are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/brono25?fea ... wvOQ2arT1s