Is this information true about the Export Series?

Talk about your ESP and LTD guitars. Signature Series ESP and LTD models and Custom ESPs can be discussed in their respective forums also.
Church2224
Junior
My Rig: 2009 ESP Standard Series M-II NTB Woodland Camouflage
2012 ESP Standard Series Horizon FR Mystic Black
2012 ESP Standard Series Horizon FR Volcano Red
2007 Jackson Sl2h Soloist Natural

Is this information true about the Export Series?

Post by Church2224 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Hello everyone. I have been a member for a while and I have just posted to acquire some information. Since this forum has so much knowledge on ESP, I though I would talk to you.

This topic was posted yesterday on Sevenstring.org. Apparently it sounds like most of the Export series is going to disappear, is this true? It would be unfortunate as I have been saving up for a few more ESPs for my collection

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standa ... 013-a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VVolverin3
Yo' daddy
My Rig: Changing all the time, but usually there's a few Caparisons in there

Re: Is this information true about the Export Series?

Post by VVolverin3 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Wow. That is intense news.*

*If it is in fact accurate.
[Please sign along the dotted line using only a blue or black pen]

Church2224
Junior

Post by Church2224 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 pm

I hope it is not accurate or true at all. I love my ESP Standards and want many more, I would have to see them disappear.

TheSixthWheel
Junior

Post by TheSixthWheel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 am

Church, I just saw this over on ss.org also, it definitely seems like the kind of thing which could only be detrimental to ESP's sales. The only models I really care about are the Horizon and the M-II which get a mention as some of the ones staying. I can only hope that this is a very small part of the future for ESP guitars, and if phasing models out, they bring many more in.

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:00 am

It has been discussed for some weeks, yes. We've made our position known and will await any further developments. I've been curiously watching the chatter about semi-custom run dealers at some US stores recently as we were informed a month or so back that runs, for now, would require minimum 10 units, no one-offs or six or whatever. ESP have a huge backlog of orders and can't accommodate small runs.
The decision has come from the very top, so it may well be set I'm stone, no matter what we say :( Japanese dealers were getting agitated at the amount of export models being shipped into the country. We haven't done any in years so I can only imagine its other Asian or European dealers doing it. The main man wants Japanese dealers appeased and I guess figures this is one way to do it.

We were instructed that this wasn't to be made public as yet, I guess that message didn't get to everyone :p
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Blunt
Not so junior

Post by Blunt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:48 pm

So with the standard series , in 2014 they wont even have ESP on the headstock , it will be E-II or E-II standard ?
Bizarre move by the people at esp imo if that is the case .
Are they trying to separate the high end gear from there mid range ? So we will have LTD , E-II and esp

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Pretty much, yes
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

ShockMe.au
Beaver Roadie
My Rig: LTD KH Jr.
LTD KH Ouija.
LTD JH Truckster (Black)
LTD EC 400 VF
LTD EC 400 AT
DiMarzio modded Ibanez.
Ibanez Performance acoustic.

Laney LV300Twin.

Morpheus Drop Tune.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech Clapton Crossroads.
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2 NYC
MXR Fullbore Metal.
MXR Black Label Chorus.
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Noise Clamp
Boss ME-6 and Metal Zone.

Gassin' for a Tubemeister 18, 36 or Grandmeister 36!

Post by ShockMe.au » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 pm

??? Why change?? Seems bizarre. Oh well.
noob_pwn wrote:when i hear the term "tyrant bloodstorm" i think of my ex on the rag.
http://www.espguitars.com/users/1990076

Be EXCELLENT to each other and PARTY on Dudes!

VVolverin3
Yo' daddy

Post by VVolverin3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah like the other guys have said, it definitely seems like a strange move. But I guess they have their reasons. *shrug*

Church2224
Junior

Post by Church2224 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Will the "E-II" guitars still be made in Japan by ESP themselves?

Pushead
Junior

Post by Pushead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 am

Hello all, hope you don't mind me rehashing my post from the ESP message board here. To add a bit of perspective here (for those who don't know me), I'm an American who has acquired a bunch of non-American ESPs.

TL/DR = incoherent ramblings of a guy who doesn't want to be writing scripts at work today

This is disappointing, but it's a business move. If what people on the other forums have said is true, and ESP really is behind on production schedules because of large orders and the variety of models they offer, limiting styles and options is a smart idea. There's no point in making 20 V-IIs if they're just going to sit in shops for 8-12 months, especially if they can make 20 Horizons in that time that will sell in 3.

It's also smart business to eliminate "special orders". It takes away from their Custom Shop orders. I've gotta say that getting an Eclipse in ST Green is something I'd like to do eventually, I certainly wouldn't spend Custom Shop money for it. (At least not ESP Custom Shop money.)

Eliminating non-Custom Shop Signature guitars is an interesting but possibly detrimental move. I'd be interested to know what percentage of their sales (Japanese produced, not LTD) are sig guitars. I think many of us would admit that the reason we became aware of ESP was through artists. The fact that you could get "the same" guitar with "the same" logo was a cool thing. But ESP has realized that certain percentages of fanboys would pay over $5k for a sig guitar, and the fact that most of the rest could be appeased by sub $1400 LTDs makes this a tactic worth trying. And let's face it, I'd have to believe 2 of every 3 sig guitars they make are Metallica sigs. Taking those non-Custom ESP sigs off the production schedule allows more time to make other guitars.

I don't think ESP is going to make a fortune on CS sigs, but what I do think is that it will restore a level of exclusivity of having an "ESP." Adding a new brand as a way to distinguish between that is interesting, but I think that idea might backfire (I think it's likely.) To be honest, I think ESP has too many brand names already. Fender and Gibson both have a separate brand name for their lower line guitars (Squire and Epiphone), but keep their moderate range guitars with the same brand as their higher line (with the inclusion of "custom" on their highest lines). Gibson has separate lines for their other instrument/genre instruments, but the bulk of their lines follow that nomenclature. ESP has (or had) Grassroots > LTD > ESP > ESP Custom > Stars (? or something like that) and Navigator for their high line "vintage styled" instruments.

Hopefully, if they do follow through on this, they come up with something a bit better than "E-II".

Perhaps I'm part of the problem. I haven't been interested enough on an ESP USA offering in the last few years to buy one. Everything I've wanted hasn't been available in the USA, and/or isn't a typical "off the shelf" guitar. Maybe ESP is hoping I'd be a candidate for a Custom Shop order. I just don't find spending $4k on a guitar realistic, and if I was going to do that, it wouldn't be an ESP, it would be a Gibson.

But really, I'd just work with a luthier to get exactly what I want for a more modest price. Resale value wouldn't be as high, but the initial investment may not be, either.

Gfunk
Not so junior

Post by Gfunk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 am

Hello all, hope you don't mind me rehashing my post from the ESP message board here. To add a bit of perspective here (for those who don't know me), I'm an American who has acquired a bunch of non-American ESPs.

TL/DR = incoherent ramblings of a guy who doesn't want to be writing scripts at work today

This is disappointing, but it's a business move. If what people on the other forums have said is true, and ESP really is behind on production schedules because of large orders and the variety of models they offer, limiting styles and options is a smart idea. There's no point in making 20 V-IIs if they're just going to sit in shops for 8-12 months, especially if they can make 20 Horizons in that time that will sell in 3.

It's also smart business to eliminate "special orders". It takes away from their Custom Shop orders. I've gotta say that getting an Eclipse in ST Green is something I'd like to do eventually, I certainly wouldn't spend Custom Shop money for it. (At least not ESP Custom Shop money.)

Eliminating non-Custom Shop Signature guitars is an interesting but possibly detrimental move. I'd be interested to know what percentage of their sales (Japanese produced, not LTD) are sig guitars. I think many of us would admit that the reason we became aware of ESP was through artists. The fact that you could get "the same" guitar with "the same" logo was a cool thing. But ESP has realized that certain percentages of fanboys would pay over $5k for a sig guitar, and the fact that most of the rest could be appeased by sub $1400 LTDs makes this a tactic worth trying. And let's face it, I'd have to believe 2 of every 3 sig guitars they make are Metallica sigs. Taking those non-Custom ESP sigs off the production schedule allows more time to make other guitars.

I don't think ESP is going to make a fortune on CS sigs, but what I do think is that it will restore a level of exclusivity of having an "ESP." Adding a new brand as a way to distinguish between that is interesting, but I think that idea might backfire (I think it's likely.) To be honest, I think ESP has too many brand names already. Fender and Gibson both have a separate brand name for their lower line guitars (Squire and Epiphone), but keep their moderate range guitars with the same brand as their higher line (with the inclusion of "custom" on their highest lines). Gibson has separate lines for their other instrument/genre instruments, but the bulk of their lines follow that nomenclature. ESP has (or had) Grassroots > LTD > ESP > ESP Custom > Stars (? or something like that) and Navigator for their high line "vintage styled" instruments.

Hopefully, if they do follow through on this, they come up with something a bit better than "E-II".

Perhaps I'm part of the problem. I haven't been interested enough on an ESP USA offering in the last few years to buy one. Everything I've wanted hasn't been available in the USA, and/or isn't a typical "off the shelf" guitar. Maybe ESP is hoping I'd be a candidate for a Custom Shop order. I just don't find spending $4k on a guitar realistic, and if I was going to do that, it wouldn't be an ESP, it would be a Gibson.

But really, I'd just work with a luthier to get exactly what I want for a more modest price. Resale value wouldn't be as high, but the initial investment may not be, either.

ESP is for fags!

Trent6308
Super senior
My Rig: 1991 Fender Strat
Roland Micro Cube

Post by Trent6308 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 am

^ ESP is for fags?

I've got 3 of them!

My wife is going to be pissed :)

Church2224
Junior

Post by Church2224 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Also, the Standards were made in Japan correct?

VVolverin3
Yo' daddy

Post by VVolverin3 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm

man, if only I had some cash. Now would be the time to do some serious bmusic shopping :lol: