Leda 17/09/12
UNDIVIDE 20/10/12
UNDIVIDE 26/10/12

The best days of my life!

Nef
Sub senior

Re: Edwards now for Standard Export Production

Post by Nef » Wed May 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Is there a place where I can find Edwards neck specs (like 'Thin U' etc.)? I'm drooling over the Kiko sigs... but half the info on the ESP page is Japanese, dunno if they say it in there...
My band's most recent album: Whispers Torn from a Raven's Dream
Favorite guitar albums: No Gravity (Kiko Loureiro) and There's Hope (Marco Sfogli)
Favorite guitar: ESP F-Standard FR

sebtones
Not so junior

Post by sebtones » Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Nef wrote:Is there a place where I can find Edwards neck specs (like 'Thin U' etc.)? I'm drooling over the Kiko sigs... but half the info on the ESP page is Japanese, dunno if they say it in there...
generally google can translate these pages if you go through the google search and hit the 'translate this page' icon at the end of foreign results listed, there may be another way but i dont know it if there is.

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Sun May 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Well I won't need a better way since your way worked, sebtones. ;)

I was right, the info was in that Japanese text, google translates it as: "The normal compared to the HORIZON 5 millimeters thick and is designed, from medial to the area to have a characteristic low tone. "

I'm guessing this means it's got a Thin U neck plus 5 mm in diameter. Hm, that would be too thick for my taste. Damn, I'm still feeling this need to buy one at some point, just to honor Kiko's music. :D
Favorite guitar albums: No Gravity (Kiko Loureiro) and There's Hope (Marco Sfogli)

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 pm

No, it means the body is 5mm thicker than a standard Horizon ;)
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Sun May 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification! So it has a regular Thin U neck then... here comes the GAS again! Now all they have to do is make one with a satin finish and I'll sell my car to get one. :D

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 pm

I assume it would be Thin U, yes
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Mon May 25, 2009 2:59 am

Seeing an ESP Kiko sig costing 4x the yen of the Edwards model, I gotta ask: What concrete differences would I notice (sides the logo) between the Edwards and ESP version? I've read a lot about Edwards quality ranging well above LTD, but below ESP SS, but really, what difference would I notice? And they're even offering a CS version, sides paying the expert luthier, what concretely would I notice with ESP SS (or even Edwards) quality being so high anyway? Or phrased differently for the experts amongst you: if you coudn't see a label or model number, and you were given all three models to test, would you be able to confidently tell them apart? How?

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 am

Nef wrote:What concrete differences would I notice (sides the logo) between the Edwards and ESP version?
This question has achieved a new kind of urgency: I'm seeing Tarja this fall and it looks like Kiko will be with her (he's got the summer dates on his site already).
My dream: have a Kiko guitar signed by him.
The only chance I have to do this: there is no time to get an ordered one til then, but there is one (!) ESP SS version in stock in Germany. It costs about 1700 AUD more than if I'd order an Edwards version from Japan. The ESP would be a signifant cut to my finances, and sides having the chance to get it signed I'm looking for reasons to (or not to) get it.
Can anyone help me out? I need clear concrete statements as to if and why the ESP Kiko > Edwards Kiko. If it makes a difference, I'm talking about the black Fire-K model (http://www.espguitars.co.jp/oversea/sig/kiko.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the specs seem all to be the same for CS, SS or Edwards.

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 am

Fit, finish, feel and tone will all be improved with the ESP CS version, then it's relative from there down
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm

guitarsatbmusic wrote:Fit, finish, feel and tone will all be improved with the ESP CS version, then it's relative from there down
Am I understanding you correctly, the quality of the Edwards is very close to the SS? I'm assuming scalloped frets aren't as easy to produce as a regular fretboard, do I have to fear a noticable difference in quality between SS and Ed in that respect?
Thanks for bearing with me, it's just that I have to make a quick decision now that I've found an Edwards version on ebay.

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 pm

The ESP Signature Series has more resonance and playability than the Edwards. The Custom has more again than the Signature Series. I have had them all here. I can't make the Edwards sound more attractive for you, these are merely the realities of them. The ESP SS is at the upper end of the Standard Series stuff, so it's not as close in comparison to other comparisons one can make about higher end Edwards vs lower spec'd ESP SS. The finish of the SS is also better, the Edwards have some minor flaws that one could associate with building to the lesser budget.
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Nef
Sub senior

Post by Nef » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 pm

guitarsatbmusic wrote:The ESP Signature Series has more resonance and playability than the Edwards. The Custom has more again than the Signature Series. I have had them all here. I can't make the Edwards sound more attractive for you, these are merely the realities of them. The ESP SS is at the upper end of the Standard Series stuff, so it's not as close in comparison to other comparisons one can make about higher end Edwards vs lower spec'd ESP SS. The finish of the SS is also better, the Edwards have some minor flaws that one could associate with building to the lesser budget.
Perfect, your info has met my need for clarity. Thank you very much! :smt006
I'd love to reciprocate, best I could do for now is recommend you to a friend in Australia (I think he has already ordered a guitar ;) )

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Good man! :) That will suffice 8-)
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

Paul Smith
Wrong Hander
My Rig: PRS Custom 22
Martin 000-28

Post by Paul Smith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Would the difference in quality be more noticable in the Kiko because of the scalloping Shane?
guitarsatbmusic wrote: I am known as the thong master