Recording Covers?

Talk about any old crap not related to your gear - "almost" anything goes
blackgoldreign
Sub senior
My Rig: Framus
Mesa 2x12

Recording Covers?

Post by blackgoldreign » Fri May 24, 2013 4:08 pm

So my band just recorded a cover (Whats going on by he man/three non blondes) and we were thinking about releasing it.

I've had a few discussions with friends about possible copy right infringement and was wondering if anyone knew much about it? We've changed the song almost completely and our level of band isn't really that big but we're going to be touring off it and themeing a flyer/ poster off it. I know a few bigger bands such as Hacktivist have covers online and I haven't heard of any infringement issues. Is there anything I should be careful of while releasing it?

Heres dat cover.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkz7fyb77hzh5 ... ision3.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Re: Recording Covers?

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 pm

You'll have to write to APRA/AMCOS and they'll tell you how much you'll need to pay to legally release it. It's often not as much as you'd think.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

frohike
Yo' daddy
My Rig: Sakai SG copy with Bareknuckle pickups (razor low action, most amazing guitar in the history of ever, built when Sakai made quality guitars, bamboo neck, not the cheaper cork of the 80s)
Freedom Acoustic
Cashies Leads (endorsed)
Glad Tidy Tuff ( road cases )
Behringer 10 watt Amp.

Good Transactions with,
Satan
McDonalds
Peep A View
Hanson Road
Ketucky Fried Chicken

Post by frohike » Sat May 25, 2013 12:31 am

Yeah dude, my old band recorded a couple covers, one being a KISS tune, we fearing Gene sueing us, our parents and everyone we have known in passing for the last 20 years (including dead pets), we covered our asses and registed and paid with APRA, i cant recall the exact amount, but it was fuck all.
M. Allen Smythe
Poet.
Artist.
Human Being.
Responsible for bringing sham-a-lang-a-dingdong back into vogue.

DOES THIS SMELL INFECTED???

blackgoldreign
Sub senior
My Rig: Framus
Mesa 2x12

Post by blackgoldreign » Sat May 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Oh cool. thanks for the heads up!