Northlane, I Killed the Prom Queen (and others)...

Talk about any old crap not related to your gear - "almost" anything goes
tollund23
Stoodley Explorer
My Rig: Splawn Pro Mod
Framus CS 2x12
Egnater Tweaker 15 1x12 Combo
Tokai LP
Custom Explorer
Martin Australian Series
Seagull S6 Original

Northlane, I Killed the Prom Queen (and others)...

Post by tollund23 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 am

...at Breath of Life festival in Launceston, Tasmania - absolutely rocked!

I spent most of my time at the third stage which showcased more bands (as opposed to hip hop and DJ's on the other stages).

Jona from IKTPQ wasn't impressed with the pit, and at one point between songs spoke up with "I'm going to have to show you how to do a circle pit, Adelaide-style", whereby he proceeded to dive off the stage (Caparison still strapped on) and start running around the pit demonstrating how it should be done! Insane, and obviously the crowd loved it. I was on the outskirts of the pit a few rows back because I'm not hardcore enough to be in there :D, but it was a blast to watch it happen. Overall a great set and quite a few fans of the band in Tassie. These boys knew how to get the crowd going. Also plenty of ladies were swooning over Jona, especially after he jumped off the stage and still had time to take a few snaps with them before getting his arse back on stage and hammering out a few more songs.

Earlier Northlane performed and really got the crowd going, they played with a lot of energy, and their tone was superb. I didn't know a great deal of their songs but they certainly were one of the crowd favourites and the lead singer did a great job, especially as he apparently had been crook recently.

Dead Letter Circus was excellent. This was my first time seeing them live but I'd heard about how tight this band was and they didn't disappoint. Both guitarists appeared to play Axe Fx's (one of the guitarists had two), and the tone from them was nothing short of amazing. The only slightly negative thing about the band was that some of the songs didn't really suit the mood and were perhaps a little bit slow and / or complex, even though it didn't worry me, they didn't perhaps draw the crowd in as much as some of the other bands.

The Amity Affliction closed out the show on the smaller stage. These guys were amazing. The vocals were spot on too, from both guys and I left the set really getting a feel for how talented this bunch of musicians are. Obviously being the closing act the crowd got really into them.

From the other stage, Dizzee Rascal, even though I'm not really into his style of music, was absolutely exceptional. He came on about 2:30pm which was the hottest part of the day, over 30 degrees and had to stop a few times and call out people in the crowd for doing stupid shit (fighting, and also crushing some of the girls as it was an all-ages event). I respect that he was prepared to do that and had the welfare of the people in the audience in mind. His whole set was quality, and being an international act you can really tell he was a step above the rest.

Biggest surprise was Closure in Moscow. Hadn't heard of these guys before the day and they were just excellent, not as heavy as some of the other bands but the lead singer had a real stage presence and their songs were catchy and had some good solos, especially the last song they played which had a Led Zep feel to it (sorry I don't know the name of it).

Biggest disappointment was Flume. Man, I know he's young and all, but this guy had about as much stage presence as...someone with not much stage presence. Did not know how to work the crowd, spoke about 2 sentences of generic "How's it going Launceston" etc into the mic, and just didn't seem to get into it. I respect anyone who is prepared to get up on stage and do their thing, but the hype surrounding this guy and his performance on the day didn't line up at all. And yes, I've heard his stuff on the radio plenty of times so I knew his songs. To me it was like watching someone sit behind a laptop, stick a CD in (which I strongly suspect he did, considering his gear apparently didn't arrive in time) and collect a pay cheque. A bit harsh maybe I know, and he was facing adversity in the sense that he may not have had all his stuff...but still.

Anyway, I've probably written enough. I should do one of these things:

TL; DR
- Northlane, I Killed the Prom Queen, Amity Affliction rocked
- Jona jumped off the stage and started an "Adelaide-style" circle pit, Caparison came out unscathed (I think)
- Dizzee Rascal was quality
- Flume was not
- Closure in Moscow a pleasant surprise
Venisti remanebis donec denuo completus sis

guitarsatbmusic
Site Admin
My Rig: Cool shit

Re: Northlane, I Killed the Prom Queen (and others)...

Post by guitarsatbmusic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Nice review man! Those Northlane fellows make me feel supremely unfit! I saw them on a hot Thursday night up this way, so much so that the first smell to set me back a step upon entering was teenage BO! But they didn't stop onstage, the heat was unreal, I would have flaked two tracks in.
Glad you had good day mate

(And yes, I know you probably don't understand what feeling unfit means Tyson :p Did you tear off the shirt and at least show them the shredded physique? :D )
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Australian ESP Dealer of the Year
www.bmusic.com.au
FaceBook

tollund23
Stoodley Explorer
Framus CS 2x12
Tokai LP
Custom Explorer
Martin Australian Series
Seagull S6 Original

Post by tollund23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:21 am

Actually I think I did have the shirt off for Northlane's set as they played a bit earlier in the day when it was much hotter...it was insane, just standing upright was enough to make one sweat bullets, not sure how those blokes do it on stage, plus most of the bands were wearing t-shirts and not singlets. We had a cool change come through later on when I Killed The Prom Queen was playing which was good.

noob_pwn
Ibanez fiend
My Rig: 101001110011
endorsing:
Bareknuckle pickups
ET guitars
Ibanez guitars

Post by noob_pwn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm

I guess after doing it for almost 3 years you get used to the heat, it's very taxing but its what we do. Thanks for the kind words mate, if you want to come watch one of our tassie gigs in june just shoot me a PM, info is on the ticketing page for the particular date of your choosing: http://northlane.oztix.com.au/
TLITD69 wrote: Kirk's terrible, Metallica suck, sold out, are sue-happy, haven't made any impact on anyone, and generally shouldn't even make music... :roll:

tollund23
Stoodley Explorer
Framus CS 2x12
Tokai LP
Custom Explorer
Martin Australian Series
Seagull S6 Original

Post by tollund23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Awesome, thanks man I will keep it in mind - great to see you are coming back to the Apple Isle soon!