Welcome To Music Theory

A place to talk about the theoretical side of guitar playing and music in general.
Fler
bmusic Forum Mod God
bmusic Forum Mod God

Postby Fler » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm getting heavily into theory as I found my playing limiting and uninspired. Wanted to know what I was doing and to a vast extent. My main influences are people who know either a lot (Fredrik Thordendal, Devin Townsend, Mattias Eklundh, Paul Masvidal, Allan Holdsworth, Muhammed Suicmez, etc) or fuck all, I wanted to be able to construct complex music and know what I was doing and how I could develop it. Give myself complete control over my creations. I found there most certainly is only so far you can go playing by feel.

The theory should not control ones playing but be a reference. I'm eager to see how my own songwriting will evolve now as a result of my gaining interest in musical theory and such. Looking into a bit of detailed rhythmic theory soon too, polyrhythyms ahoy!
OM

guitarsatbmusic wrote:Fuck me, do you live in New Zealand, or are you on a "self discovery" tour through Kashmir? :shock:

http://guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10155&p=172079#p172079 - The Rig Ov Doom.

Faust
Junior

Postby Faust » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:24 am

Megadeth7684 wrote:
Alexeh wrote:Well without theory you're basically almost randomly hitting notes in the hope of getting something good, whilst if you know theory you already know how to get the sound you're looking for. Guitarists and theory don't seem to go together well though. :lol:

Not true at all. There are a ton of great players who don't know theory. Also, some people get too caught up in playing the "right" notes that they just end up writing boring shit. There are advantages and disadvantages to knowing, and not knowing theory IMO.

Check out the later recordings by Gorguts! Luc Lemay writes the most scary stuff, it sounds like its not fitting together then you listen and it makes some sense, then they change what theyre playing and it takes you a second to see why it works, its fucked up, he obviously know theory, but his style and thought processes when writing make his stuff amazing he doesnt get hampered by 'being correct' on the guitar, he searches for the most crazy riffs and tones!

ShockMe.au
Beaver Roadie
My Rig: LTD KH Jr.
LTD KH Ouija.
LTD JH Truckster (Black)
LTD EC 400 VF
LTD EC 400 AT
DiMarzio modded Ibanez.
Ibanez Performance acoustic.

Laney LV300Twin.

Morpheus Drop Tune.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech Clapton Crossroads.
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2 NYC
MXR Fullbore Metal.
MXR Black Label Chorus.
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Noise Clamp
Boss ME-6 and Metal Zone.

Gassin' for a Tubemeister 18, 36 or Grandmeister 36!

Postby ShockMe.au » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:46 am

hey guys just remember that some of us just are ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE NEAR you guys in theory so, can ya dumb it down sometimes?
Nearly every post here is way more advanced than me... :oops:
I admit I can read music, play some scales and have a basic understanding of theory, but I read TABs and play songs (badly?!?!) that I know. There are probably a few others here who would greatly appreciate some Music Theory 101 lessons!
Cheers 8)

progmetaldan
Resident Fusion Junkie
My Rig: Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman 5
Caparison Horus Scarab/GO

Postby progmetaldan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:08 am

ask questions and we'll surely try to help out... :wink:
Dan

Faust
Junior

Postby Faust » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Don't worry i'm no wiz with Theory either, people mostly want to know some theory to write solos over riffs so they are in the tune, or right key. So yeah ask questions, theres enough people on here to get you out of trouble or into it hahahaha

ShockMe.au
Beaver Roadie
My Rig: LTD KH Jr.
LTD KH Ouija.
LTD JH Truckster (Black)
LTD EC 400 VF
LTD EC 400 AT
DiMarzio modded Ibanez.
Ibanez Performance acoustic.

Laney LV300Twin.

Morpheus Drop Tune.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Digitech Clapton Crossroads.
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2 NYC
MXR Fullbore Metal.
MXR Black Label Chorus.
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Noise Clamp
Boss ME-6 and Metal Zone.

Gassin' for a Tubemeister 18, 36 or Grandmeister 36!

Postby ShockMe.au » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Faust wrote:Don't worry i'm no wiz with Theory either, people mostly want to know some theory to write solos over riffs so they are in the tune, or right key. So yeah ask questions, theres enough people on here to get you out of trouble or into it hahahaha

Great stuff people! 8)
Thanks, I will.
I just hope I don't sound like a complete idiot.....

Sjusovaren
Sub senior

Re: Welcome To Music Theory

Postby Sjusovaren » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:33 am

Taken care of , cheers.
Last edited by Sjusovaren on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackorchidx
Junior

Postby blackorchidx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:18 pm

I think people get caught up in a lot of complexities surrounding music theory

A lot of music theory has come from analysis of music of "how" things came to be, and not "how" to create music.

One prime example is that encompassing "bach type baroque music" so heres a short story:

back in those times, there was modes, and not major scales or minor scales, it was all a greek based modal system, however problems arose when harmonising

Ic - V7 - I is a perfect cadence but you wont get this in the aeolian (minor scale mode) so the 7th was raised to imply the harmony and give bach etc their perfect cadence.
then another problem arose, the 6th to 7th in the harmonic minor is an augmented 2nd interval, very bad in harmony so the 6th was raised too to imply a more stable harmony and more melodic function.

This is all later analysis and not really "theory" in that period of music, i guess the only theory those guys learnt was modes and counterpoint.

anyways, that is "how" music was written then, not how to write like bach or handel etc, that is what i believe music theory to be, whether its disagreed upon or not.

In summary, dont write in theory, but instead correct arisen problems with theory.

Tom
Junior

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Return to “Music Theory & Technique Discussion”