Edwards E-CY-165CTM

Discussion on all things related to ESP Japanese sub-brand Edwards
Nova_Prospekt_47
Not so junior
My Rig: ESP RZK-1 OW
ESP RZK-1 BKS

Edwards E-CY-165CTM

Postby Nova_Prospekt_47 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 am

I have major GAS for this guitar. I wanted to how the neck on this guitar is compared to a Truckser/Eclipse neck, and how was the wood combo tone-wise. It has a 9 piece maple and walnut neck through and ash sides. I know the sides dont affect much the sound of a guitar, but I heard that ash, depending on the wood piece quality, can sound very dull. My Truckster has a nice crystal clear sound, and I'm not looking to get a guitar that sounds dull. If I buy it, I'll get EMG pickups for it.

Thanks in advance for the info.

-HeretiC-
Set The Skies Ablaze

Re: Edwards E-CY-165CTM

Postby -HeretiC- » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm

If you were to fuck all that poxy gold hardware off, that guitar would be even hotter! :-D

Richie
Ibanez bunny
My Rig: Caparison Horus Thunder Cloud
Ibanez RBM1-CA
Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez RG565LB
Ibanez RG550
Peavey Ultra 120
Trace Elliot 4x12 flat faced quad
Line 6 POD 2.0

Postby Richie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

geez, it actually fits with my saying

Die Heretic!

Gold hardware FTW!
Seven String guitars... for people who've run out of ideas on a Six String.

Proudly endorsing DSL Straps and Pure Tone Strings

Join the petition to bring back :mrgreen:

hermz
Amp-addicted Sandgroper
My Rig: I buy what Shane tells me to.

Postby hermz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Too much abalone :(

ae3
Super senior

Postby ae3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Too much abalone indeed, but the gold hardware rocks.
-Rohan

razzer1991
Not so junior

Postby razzer1991 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 pm

I like that guitar because i might think of getting it.

But what do you think I should get this Edwards E-CY-165CTM or the new IBANEZ Xiphos with 27 frets?

ae3
Super senior

Postby ae3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 pm

If you want 27 frets (I assume that's what you want), look at the Edwards Kiko sig's.
They're better looking than both the Ibanez and the E-CY-165CTM IMO. And it plays anything like my SS horizon, it'll play awesome too.
-Rohan

razzer1991
Not so junior

Postby razzer1991 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 pm

^
Thanks man

lolomgwtfbbq!!!
Yo' daddy

Postby lolomgwtfbbq!!! » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 pm

ae3 wrote:If you want 27 frets (I assume that's what you want), look at the Edwards Kiko sig's.
They're better looking than both the Ibanez and the E-CY-165CTM IMO. And it plays anything like my SS horizon, it'll play awesome too.

pretty sure the Kiko sigs do cost more though :( such shame however they are really good looking.
you can call me Phil if you want to

and the knot in the back adds caractor...i even have a proper Shamalama Ding Dong custom here with 4 knots on the front that will also blow any other custom guitar away for the purpose its been made for..

Nova_Prospekt_47
Not so junior
My Rig: ESP RZK-1 OW
ESP RZK-1 BKS

Postby Nova_Prospekt_47 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:07 am

Anybody can enlighten me on the neck and sound?

Advanced
Yo' daddy
My Rig: PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24
Ibanez RG1802
PRS SE245
Seagull S6

Postby Advanced » Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 am

I also have major GAS for this and I'm considering it... Just don't know if I should commit to buying a guitar that looks really over the top. :(

Tkpenalty
Not so junior

Postby Tkpenalty » Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Nova_Prospekt_47 wrote:Anybody can enlighten me on the neck and sound?

Judging by the specs, with the quilted maple top and plus TB-5s,there wouldnt be muddiness, it definately would be clearer than your EMG 81s by a longshot, especially with cleans, you'll actually be able to hear the guitar :P. EMGs are too synthetic for me, and they're somewhat too muddy. Since it has a satin finish neck you're going to find its going to be exceptionally comfortable to play. Doesnt your truckster have that too?

This is just what I've concluded from the specs, but I'd trust the testimony of someone who's actually used it more.

I have GAS for this guitar too but yeah, its a bit over the top and "roll me plz", if you know what I mean. It just looks so expensive (and it is, for me).
sans2012 wrote:
domdabomb wrote:http://www.google.com.au/

http://smartass.com/

perks
Junior

Postby perks » Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Hey mate, I have an E-CY-165CTM for sale in honey sunburst with a hsc.

PM me if your interested.

DNW
Not so junior

Postby DNW » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Tkpenalty wrote:
Nova_Prospekt_47 wrote:Anybody can enlighten me on the neck and sound?

Judging by the specs, with the quilted maple top and plus TB-5s,there wouldnt be muddiness, it definately would be clearer than your EMG 81s by a longshot, especially with cleans, you'll actually be able to hear the guitar :P. EMGs are too synthetic for me, and they're somewhat too muddy. Since it has a satin finish neck you're going to find its going to be exceptionally comfortable to play. Doesnt your truckster have that too?

This is just what I've concluded from the specs, but I'd trust the testimony of someone who's actually used it more.

I have GAS for this guitar too but yeah, its a bit over the top and "roll me plz", if you know what I mean. It just looks so expensive (and it is, for me).

Yep, muddiness is not something I've ever suffered with the E-CY-165CTM. Very clear sound, almost too bright for my liking, but a bit of retweaking of the settings fixes things up anyway.

The neck I can't really compare to a Truckster or Eclipse as I don't have experience with either. I can say it's not Wizard thin, nor is it Les Paul fat. I'm used to my Ibanez RG7 necks, and jumping over to the 165CTM from there feels very comfortable to me. Not too thin, not too thick. No sticky finish on the back, no tuning stability issues,

That said, I'm trying to get rid of mine. I just don't play 6-strings anymore, so it's pretty much a waste of money me leaving it sitting around. :? :lol:

I had an Edwards Flying V a lil while back too. Again, great guitar, but I realised it was ridiculous me owning it when I barely touched it. If I wanted to get back into 6s though, I'd have no problems ordering in another Edwards or two. ;)

noob_pwn
Ibanez fiend
My Rig: 101001110011
endorsing:
Bareknuckle pickups
ET guitars
Ibanez guitars

Postby noob_pwn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm

also, the 25.5in scale & ebony fretboard would add clarity and snap which your truckster wont have,
ash is not dull sounding by any means, it is usually bright and scooped with alot of high end "pop". It is very clear in lower registers and lots of low tuners & 8 string players like ash for this reason.
this guitar wont have the thick chunk of your truckster but will sound bright, lively and clear.
TLITD69 wrote: Kirk's terrible, Metallica suck, sold out, are sue-happy, haven't made any impact on anyone, and generally shouldn't even make music... :roll:

Return to “Edwards Guitar & Bass Discussion”